Friday, October 1, 2010

LET ME IN (A-)

Starring: Chloe Moretz, Kodi Smit-McPhee and Richard Jenkins


Story: An alienated 12-year-old boy befriends a mysterious young newcomer to his small New Mexico town, and discovers an unconventional path to adulthood. (Overture Films)

Rated: R

Bottom Line: The biggest difference between this vampire movie and any film from the TWILIGHT series is that LET ME IN isn’t completely awful. It’s a thinking person’s drama/horror hybrid with excellent direction, solid acting and, despite some of the grisly mayhem, a touching story of friendship.

2 comments:

Beth Albert said...

The original Swedish film, Let The Right One In, is really good. I'm not sure how I feel about what is effectively an Americanized remake though. Kind of makes me sad that people are too lazy to read some subtitles and appreciate a good film.

Mike Ward said...

"Let The Right One In", for my mind is the best vampire film I have ever seen. I echo Beth's comments that the rush to remake this is rather unnecessary and ill-advised. On its own though, this film retains a lot of the appeal of the first one. It is gorier than the original and what I found disappointing is that it is yet another reminder that American filmmakers, time and time again, avoid the "Less Is More" approach.